Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Layout and a comment on those very clever designers

I am delving into the backlog again to do some photos from New Year's Day 05. The pics are from a visit to The Big Pineapple (I am obsessed with oversized fibreglass tourist attractions but that is another story LOL). I have been putting these photos to one side over the last couple of years because I could never get the right paper, match the right colours. I just don't have an "eye" for colour the way people like Vicki (A Work in Progress) or Pam (Digitreats) or countless other wonderful designers do. Each morning I check to see what Vicki has posted and ooh and aah at what she has created, but also at her ability to put colours together. And the more I look at the schemes Pam chose for the ABC kits the more I see those choices as being truly inspired. They are so versatile. One of the things I love about digi scrapping is the ability to make that ideal paper or element when you need it. I decided to do a striped paper that I took from the stripes on the awning of the train, but when I sampled the green from the train it didn't go with the stripes. So I tried the colours from Pam's Jump kit, and they worked because they go so well together. This is why I have so much admiration and respect for the designers, it is not just about the things they make, it is about the vision of the colours.

Let me know if anyone would like the striped paper (it is jump colours), or the word art saying "The Big Pineapple" LOL, more than happy to share, I just wasn't sure if any would use it ROTFL - how many oversized pineapples are there ?. I had fun making that title using Atomic Cupcake's action that I used on the clear elements for the Piggies layout. I love taking one of these actions and pushing to see how far I can test it, and what it can do.

Best wishes,
Erika

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel like that too! I'm just not good at putting colors together. I love the idea of using the stripes from the train awning. So clever! You're so creative I don't think it matters so much if you don't have the right color combos. (And I think you do a fine job with color anyway) Is this enough flattery to keep you designing? LOL! I love your stuff!!